Tuesday, October 06, 2009

In the Wings

Right now, all three of my short stories are in between submissions. I need to decide where to send them all next, taking into consideration things like length limitations, genre, response times, e-sub or snail mail, pro mag or semi-pro mag, etc.

I can literally spend hours online just researching markets--and I often do. Someone just needs to buy one of the stories, already.

I've come to a decision about one of the novellas--I'm not doing it. I was never especially enamored of the idea in the first place, and then I realized that I was just grasping at straws by writing it. It would have written up just fine; in fact, I had the first scene written already, and it was reading like a great example of its type and genre, with what I'm pretty sure is an entirely unique take on the theme. But if my heart's not in it, I shouldn't write it, because it makes me feel like I'm selling out. Up to now, I've always loved the stories I've written, and I don't think that should change. I'm not willing to do just any old thing to get published. If that makes me an artiste, so be it.

No comments: