Saturday, March 07, 2009

Pending

What does pending mean when applied to the status of a short story? I'm not sure whether it means the story is soon to be read, or has been read and now is waiting for a final verdict. I guess I'll find out soon. On the submissions tracker for the magazine it's currently at, the story used to be classified as "unread slush." Now it's "pending." What does that mean? I spent way too much time trying to search online to find out, but to no avail. Argh.

About the short story...a teaser...it has to do with the Sidhe. No surprise there, right? So does the Brenna book. But as short stories go, this one is really something special. I can honestly say that it is the story I'll always be proud to have written--or whatever it was that I did with it. It wasn't so much that I wrote it as that it wrote itself through me (or something like that). What I can say for sure is that I lost over 4 hours of time, and wasn't even aware of it passing until just before the climax of the story. I suffered very little discomfort in my hands and wrists after all that concentrated typing. It's probably a good thing I have an ergo keyboard. I can't remember how long the last part took, either. None of that matters. What matters is that it was written. I'd love to be able to share it with people. So now I just need to get beyond "pending."

No comments: