Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Interim Progress

My eBay situation has improved; I actually sold a few things yesterday. All the better, because I'm about to take the plunge and buy a new color laser printer--probably within the next month. I've wanted one for a long time; I would much prefer knowing that my Pookatales books were printed with fused toner instead of hope-it-doesn't-smudge ink. If I wasn't able to get a color laser printer, I'd get some of that new ink instead; apparently there's a new kind of ink for inkjets that smudges less and is of a better archival quality. I'm wanting to expand my product line a little, and having a good quality color printer has become a very important part of that.

I'm still waiting for a novel contract, obviously, and I've decided not to let the grass grow under Pookatales while I'm waiting. There are people out there who enjoy owning my little books, and it's a good feeling to know I'm actually making at least a little money from my writing and artistry. The potential of a book contract in the future won't pay my bills now, so high ho, high ho, it's off to work I go. (Well, I work at home and on the internet, but you know what I mean.)

Novel-writing-wise, I'm about to start Chapter 4 of the third book in the trilogy, currently called Shifts of Perception, or Shifts for short. It reads quickly and gets off to a racing start, so we'll see how things go from here. So far, my first draft material has been cleaner and tighter than with any of my previous manuscripts, which is good news from the perspective of how many drafts it'll take me to get the book to marketable shape. The fewer the better, as long as the quality remains strong.

No comments: