Monday, May 09, 2005

Chairendipity

It was a great Mother's Day here, hope it was for all of you as well.

I didn't wake up and say, "I must go forth and spend money," but that's what happened. It was for a good cause, though. Saturday at the end of a three-hour stint in front of the computer, my back, neck and shoulders hurt way more than they should, and I came to the conclusion that my office chair was at least part of the problem. I didn't fail to get up and stretch every hour or do any of those things they tell you to do for ergonomic reasons. But I have a terrible problem with my neck and back going out of place. Always have had. When I had to really push it just to get through the last section in a chapter, I realized that I'd had it with the task chair I was using. I'm not sure what I needed it to do differently, but whatever it was, it just wasn't doing it. So after the "Wake up, Mom; Happy Mother's Day" stuff, I decided that what I really wanted to do was scope out a chair that didn't make me want to see a chiropracter after every writing session.

I didn't really start out with much hope that I'd find the perfect office chair on a Sunday afternoon on Mother's Day, but that's exactly what happened. It was at Office Depot, and a sign on the box had the magic word "CLEARANCE" written on it. The husband and I both tried the demo model out and liked it, and we each ended up getting one at a ridiculously low price. Sometimes things just happen when you need them the most. Serendipity. I'm sure we could all use more of that.

The book's going really well, too. I cannot thank Bob enough for making me revise just one more time. If he sends this one back to the drawing board, I'll...well, I'll eat my hat.

I don't wear a hat.

No comments: