Wednesday, June 02, 2010

I Dream of Stories

Okay, I did it. I finished that new short story I mentioned before--the one that was sort of "Devil Wears Prada" meets Godzilla. Or maybe it was "Working Girl" meets Godzilla. (On Wall Street.) It's been through the gauntlet of my crit group, the Moxie, and come out looking great, so now it's time to pick a venue and start sending it out.

It felt good to create something new just for the enjoyment of it, just because I had a crazy-but-cool dream, just because I wanted to give it a whirl...just because. Yes, I have to try to sell it, but that wasn't what I was thinking as I wrote it. Like "The Truth One Sees," it's a bit different from my usual stuff. Different is good. The last time I tried something different, it sold. In any case, it was fun, and it felt amazing to have that kind of fun again. The last thing I finished was the faery tale novella at the end of January, so it was high time for a new story.

No comments: